Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vanessa: AN ALTERNATIVE TO SLITTING YOUR WRIST




‘I am having fun’ has become somewhat of an understatement over the past few days. I am really having tons and tons of fun. The atmosphere, the buzz and the commotion around Tower City Cinema’s during this year’s CIFF is difficult to not get swept away in. There is energy in this festival, brewing with excitement and I have come to the conclusion that, like other awesome, once a year events like Bizarre Bazaar; I wish everyday was film fest day in Cleveland (while being able to walk around with a headset on working for the CFS). But, of course ‘if everyday was like Christmas, the effect of the holiday would be lost.’

Last night was an exciting night for both messy magazine as well as the producers/creators of AN ALTERNATIVE TO SLITTING YOUR WRIST. This film has become the new, for lack of a better term, ‘buzz’ movie of this year’s CIFF. AN ALTERNATIVE TO SLITTING YOUR WRIST was originally scheduled to be shown twice at the festival. Well, now that’s all changed. This Saturday, March 28th at 9:25AM the FOURTH showing of this film is scheduled (if you don’t have your tickets, better get a move on, this one is sure to go on stand-by any second).

Personally, this was one film I could directly relate to, not so much the suicide aspect, but the ‘quarter-life crisis’ side. Heck, THIS magazine was started on a foundation comprised of crises!

I realize the ‘quarter-life crisis’ has become another catch-phrase, used rather jokingly, and now, rather often (it has turned into a money making industry, mostly in self-help books) And it can be humorous. But then again, it can be rather paralyzing. It is something I can directly relate to both ways. I am a lost person. I have laughed about it; I’ve cried about it; I’ve gotten angry about it; I have sat in complete neutral thought staring at it; I have written a really really long, still unfinished essay about it.

I feel lost. And there is no escaping that. I have way too many things I want to do and I really don't know where to step my first foot in what direction. So for now, I'm at a standstill until I tell myself the heck with it! Lately, instead of being hesitant and not sure of what direction to go in, I've decided to go in all directions and do everything instead of nothing. Time is a wasting!

AN ALTERNATIVE TO SLITTING YOUR WRIST carries some of the same ideas. Why not do everything you’ve always wanted to do- and do it now. Owen Lowry, the creator and main character of the documentary writes a list of 52 things to do within a single year after he is released from the psychiatric unit in a Chicago hospital. With a list of 52 goals, this means obviously checking one goal off his list per week. This list spans from recording a song with his father, to squirrel fishing, doing something nice for a complete stranger, building a bicycle, so on and so forth. Throughout the course of the film Lowry is not only completing his goals, but also coping and coming face to face with some very serious topics and issues he is trying to overcome.

This film is relatable and oh so very human. Everyone can relate to something in this documentary. I think that's why the CIFF goers are scrambling to get a seat. I loved how Lowry, who is a Cleveland native, represents the city well and fairly. I loved the back and forth between playful completion of these goals and also facing down demons in other goals. I enjoyed the music as well, one aspect I sometimes find can really destroy documentary.

Overall, this was a wonderful film that I found very inspiring. I am, with messy magazine more than floored to be the media sponsor of this particular movie made by an outstanding group of people, as well as the Cleveland International Film Festival/Cleveland Film Society.

There will be one last showing of AN ALTERNATIVE TO SLITTING YOUR WRIST this Saturday, March 28th at 9:25AM. messy magazine will be there again to greet you with our coffee in hand. Please come out and say good morning!

No comments: