Sunday, March 22, 2009

Vanessa: Day 3!



These tickets. These tickets keep falling to the bottom of my bag every time I am handed one walking into the theater. Then, when it’s time to place my vote the ticket is no where to be found. Thankfully the nice people standing at the exits always have extra. In the meantime, I guess I’ll be collecting these papers out of the bottom of my bag every evening.



Last evening I, by miracle saw Children of Invention. I was running late to the cinema and did not allow myself enough time to park. But, I still made it. Children of Invention was great, both heartbreaking and inspiring.

The story follows a Chinese family (2 young children, Raymond and Tina) lead by a single mother, Elaine living in the outskirts of Boston. The family’s home is foreclosed and they are forced to live in an apartment building still under construction. Throughout the movie the Elaine is looking to make a quick buck, as her ex-husband is not sending money for the family. She falls into a pyramid scheme that lands her in a messy situation.

Meanwhile the kids who are left alone for several days must get by on little to no money. They are also looking to make some money to hopefully one day buy back their foreclosed house. It’s hard to not sympathize with this family and their very real struggles. The kids in the film are excellent, witty and charming and come up with some creative money making ideas.

And I’m pretty glad I snagged one of the last seats for this movie. It was great. Go check it out!

No comments: