Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Warrior Champions




Warrior Champions

Anita Petric


To be quite honest Warrior Champions was my second choice out of the movies I had picked out to see that day. I was running late and the line for the movie I was originally going to see was already filing into the theater just as I was arriving there. And I am so glad it worked out that way.
Warrior Champions is a story about four American soldiers who had either lost limbs or had suffered paralysis while serving their time in Iraq and the journey that follows long after they are home. Instead of giving into the sadness and depression that goes hand in hand with these kind of injuries,all of the soldiers found a sport they were good at and trained until they were good enough to compete for a spot in the 2008 Paralympic Games in Beijing. All four of these soldiers were inspiring but Scott Winkler stood out to me more than the rest . He completely lost the use of both of his legs and ended up spending a year in a sports clinic where he discovered shot put and how good he was at it. He might not have the use of his legs but he is in better shape and has a better outlook on life than anybody else I know. He lives his life having fun without any regrets and travels around the globe to visit other young wounded soldiers and helps them get over the shock of their injuries and find a place in the world. That to me is a hero. I never knew the Paralympic Games existed before this movie and now I can't wait to learn more about it and the stories behind all of the people competing.

No comments: